Monday 2 July 2012

Illterviews - Scizzahz Interview

Scizzahz




Illterviews – Scizzahz


Scizzahz is an MC & Producer from Hastings. We catch up with him to talk about Lobster Music, his work with Wizard, the Brighton hip hop scene and more!



Scizzahz, introduce yourself; How did you get your name, how long have you been rapping?


I’m Scizzahz, a 27 year old sound engineer who also raps and produces.


What projects have you put out in the past? How have they been received?


I have put out quite a few mixtapes and albums including I Will Work Harder, Mizaree Loves Company, Sausages For Shoes, I Still Work Harder and most recently Lobster Music with Wizard. Albums have been well received, I don’t get much time to promote my music because I work long hours in London. I just love making music and would still do it if I knew no one would ever hear it. My most recent album was quite an updated sound from most UK Hip Hop, trying to steer clear of the same old boom bap sound, for that reason a few people hated but it's all good, I'd rather divide opinion than just be boring.



You're from Hastings, and also heavily involved in the healthy Brighton Hip Hop scene. How does that help you when making music?


I have lived in Brighton for 6 years now, it’s a great place to live if you are a musician, there are always promoters putting on shows, always people looking to make music or just cypher. It's very healthy in B Town, I don’t think there is any other place in the UK that has the same atmosphere and creativity that Brighton has.


You're also relatively active on the battle scene, a familiar face to Don't Flop fans. What's your opinion on the battle scene, and how do you use it to your advantage?


I have always loved the battle format in Hip Hop and I got involved with Don’t Flop from the very beginning, its grown so much its amazing really. For me I just see battling as a hobby, I still love battling but it can’t be a full time job so therefore I don’t take it too seriously. The moment I feel I'm not enjoying it anymore I’ll call it a day.



Your solo work, especially the I Still Work Harder has a certain sound to it. You're also in OSB'z, a group with Wizard, which is a bit more tongue in cheek. Is it good to have the outlet there to just have some fun with making music?


Without a doubt. When me and Wiz make music its just a big joke really, we do it for a laugh, the lyrics are so ridiculous you have to take it with a handful of salt. Its nice to make music that you don’t care about, any music I do make though I always have to enjoy it.





What other artists have you worked with in the scene?


Sonnyjim, Dr Syntax, Beat Butcha, Joey G-Zus, Lowkey even got a few old joints with Rizzle from Rizzle Kicks, to be fair they are pretty ropey though so may never see the light of day.



Who would you like to work with in the future?


I wanna get some beats to K Koke, Giggs, Dot Rotten, fuck it, even Rick Ross, that’s the shit I listen to and me and Wiz’s beats are definitely at that level now.



What are you working on at the moment, any mixtapes or EPs etc? When can we expect them to come out?


Me and Wiz are continuing our Lobster Music instrumental series, Volume 1 has just been released and is doing extremely well. Doing a few solo tracks here and there but nothing solid in the way of a solo album. You can find Lobster Music here:

http://www.gotinstrumentals.com/mixtapes/LobsterMusic-12125.html



Any shout outs?


Genius Squad and all the B Town heads, Wiz, OSB’z, DJ Horseface and all the Hastings heads and any fans of my shit.



Let us know where to get in touch with you, and any links you want to promote!




Interview By Precinct Phantom
@TheRealPP


No comments:

Post a Comment