Tuesday 10 July 2012

Illterviews - OYG redruM781 Interview



OYG redruM781



Illterviews – OYG redruM781


OYG redruM781 is a veteran of the West Coast rap scene. We catch up with him to talk about his work ethic, mainstream rappers, his international collaborations and much more!

OYG redruM781, introduce yourself; How did you get your name, how long have you been rapping?

What's up? I'm OYG redruM781 the one and only! Bloody Mary gave me my name, and I gave her hers! I've been at this since 1986!



What projects have you put out in the past? How have they been received?

Banging On Wax – This is damn near platinum worldwide, since 1993!
Damu Riders 2
Murder Was The Case
Rep Yo Set
Flamin 2

All of these are gangsta records, received very well!



The west coast has long had a dope hip hop scene, with lots of diverse music being made. Tell us about the scene over there, and who should our UK readers check out?

The music pretty much describes the scene over here, although it has mellowed down drastically, but it's still violent nonetheless. I really can't say who to check out due to the fact that I don't really listen to anybody! I'm not really interested!

Are you aware of the UK hip hop scene? If so, what do you think about international hip hop?

Um yeah, I am. I actually have 2 songs with S.A.S.. I also have a project i'm working on called 'No Passport'. This allows me to travel the world lyrically and never have left America. I have Asian, German, Dutch, Russian, Italian, English & French artists on there so far, and i'm still looking for a few more! Hip Hop Let's Go!



Coming from the underground scene, and really respresenting the street life, do you feel like mainstream hip hop artists fabricate certain aspects to sell records? What's your take on this?

I feel Mainstream artists are doing as much damage as the record companies themselves. For real though! They do the ethnic dirty work for the companies, while putting themselves in position. At the end of the day their motive was for self and that's it. I could go on and on!

What other artists have you worked with in the scene?

I work with up and coming artists rather than Industry artists. There are extremely few people in the industry that I have worked with.



Who would you like to work with in the future?

I wanna throw bars with the best in the industry. I wanna show y'all what I can do, and not just on Gangsta tracks!

What are you working on at the moment, any mixtapes or EPs etc? When can we expect them to come out?

Actually, i've been working on my catalogue. My work ethic won't let me work on 1 thing, so I multi task. It does get congested but I work through it. I have no release dates yet, but i've gotta lot of music and bars for yo ass!



Any shout outs?

West Upper to my family, to everybody that knows me personally, that I know personally, that respects me and my music, those that still believe in me and what i'm doing. And a Whoooop to all y'all that's riding with me to get this shit back right.

Let us know where to get in touch with you, and any links you want to promote!


Thanks for the interview, thanks for reading it, and listening to my music!



Interview By Precinct Phantom
@TheRealPP

No comments:

Post a Comment