Tuesday 10 July 2012

Illterviews - Joe Snow Interview



Joe Snow



Illterviews – Joe Snow


Joe Snow is a dope MC from Leeds city. He's part of the rap group Defenders of Style. We catch up with him to talk about the battle culture, working with European artists, solo music and much more!

Joe Snow, introduce yourself; How did you get your name, how long have you been rapping?


Joe Snow is a name givin to me by a woman that I used to live inside of! Well, sort of. It's a shortened down version of my real name ‘Joe Snowden’
My other alias ‘LIP’ has a bit of better story behind it. When I was about 17 we were playing on a radio show in Newcastle. The night before we went out to a crazy rave put on by White Elephant Sounds. I had one of those blow your socks off ding dangs (that are quite hard to come by these days) and chewed my top lip until it inflated to 5 times its size. The next day on the radio the host ‘Drop Dead Fred’ asked us my name. I didn’t reply in time and the quick witted little fucker called us LIP, and it has stuck ever since.
I've been rapping since a young teenager, but the first time I played live was at a Foreign Beggers gig when I was about 17 in York. So I'd put that as the start of my ‘proffesional’ career.




What projects have you put out in the past? How have they been received?


I'm part of a crew called Defenders Of Style. Our first album was ‘Thoughts Of The Nameless’ which was an 18 track album that we released January 2009. This definately got us a lot of respect around our local scene but I'd say that it was our second album ‘Dolce Stil Nouvo’ that really started to push our name outside of Yorkshire. It's only after that we really started capitalising on the internet. With all these blogs and things like twitter and facebook it's a lot easier to push your music independently. So our most successful release so far has definately been our latest ‘Dirty Sterling’. We released it in January this year and it hits its max amount of downloads every month and has had a lot of good write ups.
They're all avalible at www.defendersofstyle.bandcamp.com and most are free of charge. So no exuses - go download them!!


You're from Leeds, which has a dope scene, and the whole WY movement is really making moves at the moment. What do you think has really set the ball rolling?


In one clichéd and horribly overused word Hunger, It's frustrating being an independent artist in the North. I mean the talent easily equals that of the South. Yet I bet most people outside of Yorkshire couldn't name more than 2 or 3 Yorkshire based MCs. It was quite clear that we all had to start promoting each other and sharing our contacts in order to progress as a scene.
Things like WY Cypher really pushed this. I mean as much as its about having a few beers, getting high and rapping frees about dog shit, It proper pushed everything to a next level in terms of collabs between crews and links within the scene.
You've also gotta remember that the heads on WY Cypher are still only the tip of the iceberg of WY talent and over the next few years I'd put money on a lot of fresh WY MCs coming out of the woodwork.



You also work with Defenders of Style. Let us know about that crew, who's in it etc! Also, do you intend to do any solo work?


Defenders Of Style is Me, Jack Danz, Prys, Disgust and DMC finalist DJ Sirplus (that he'll hopefully change to DMC champ after the 20th)
Danz does all the production and is a boom bap DON - that’s said in the most modest way possible.
I am working on a solo album which I'll drop next year.It has beats from a lot of different producers on it and has some nice collabs thrown in there as well. So that’s one to watch for.


You've battled in Don't Flop a couple of times. What inspired you to get involved in the movement, and what's your opinion of the battle culture today?


This is a question that is getting asked a lot at the moment, and quite honestly, my opinion changed with every argument that I read. I enjoy battling, and I always have, so when I came back from travelling and all my mates were banging on about this new battle league, I knew it was something that I'd wanna have a crack at. It's pushed my music forward and i've had a lot of good weekends getting drunk, and listening to 2 guys rip the piss out of each other. It will always take a backseat to my music, but it is something that I enjoy doing, and it's good to keep you on your toes.
I think it's good in moderation. If you spend your whole time battling, and ain't putting out good music, I personally think you're missing the point, and if you think you're above battling because your music is dope and you don't need the promotion that it brings, then one of these days a young 17 or 18 year old might just jump up and make a fool out of you on your own stage.
It's definitely earnt its place in the scene, and doesn't look like it's going anywhere, so my main ambition is to make these battle fans buy my music, and turn up at my shows! So far, it's going good!


What other artists have you worked with in the scene?


We've mainly been working within the WY scene at the moment, so recently i've been working with heads like Chief Wigz and Fly Tippers, Jack Flash, Matter, Lego, JND & Teknico.



Who would you like to work with in the future?

There are a lot of people that i'm meant to be hitting the studio with over the rest of the year. Granville Sessions, Res, Blizzard, BTR Fam. They're all in the pipeline, but i'm looking to collab with some European artists. We've had a lot of good feedback from Europe, and are looking to plan a tour there for next year. I'm quite a fan of French Hip Hop, and heard some crazy flows while hitting a few stages in Paris, so that would be live!


What are you working on at the moment, any mixtapes or EPs etc? When can we expect them to come out?


Well this last week i've been finishing off my bars for my battle in Glasgow against Physiks.
As far as albums, we're going to have a new Defenders Of Style album out towards the end of the year, and then my solo album next year sometime. Oh and I'm costantly writing Lego's freestyles for the cyphers. You're gonna have to start paying us one of these days lad.


Any shout outs?


DS. WY. BTR. DF


Let us know where to get in touch with you, and any links you want to promote!

DOWNLOAD ALL THE MUSIC AT WWW.DEFENDERSOFSTYLE.BANDCAMP.COM
Follow us on twitter @joesnowds
@dsfam




Interview By Precinct Phantom
@TheRealPP

No comments:

Post a Comment