Tuesday 24 July 2012

Illterviews - Quelle Chris Interview



Quelle Chris



Illterviews – Quelle Chris


Quelle Chris is a dope MC from Detroit, who's been putting the work in. We catch up with him to talk about his thoughts on UK Hip Hop, his past work, who he's worked with and much more!

Quelle Chris, introduce yourself; How did you get your name, how long have you been rapping

Howdy. I’m Quelle Chris. I’m from Detroit but live everywhere. My name came from school and is the end result of 4 years of ever-changing rap names and I started around 15 years ago. That’s a lot of questions in one question. Haha!

What projects have you put out in the past? How have they been received?

Yeesh. That’s a toughie. The most recent major releases were ‘Shotgun & Sleek Rifle’ and ‘2Dirt4TV’ which was completely produced by legend Dibia$e. I’m at around 13 releases so far. Some solo and others with my two groups. Crown Nation, which is Denmark Vessey, Mosel and I and the other group is a minimal wave/synth group called Awesome in Outer Space. All, of course, are received like a king returning from war. Parades and so on. I like to keep myself busy. I’ve also been in couple basement bands, drum circles, drunk people singing on the corner groups, etc. The only thing I’ve never done was join a church choir. Renegade shit.



You're from Detroit, which has a really dope hip hop scene, people like Phat Kat, Slum Village, Black Milk etc, and it has a really distinct scene. What do you think the best thing about rap music in Detroit is?

It's good!

Are you are of the hip hop scene over here in the UK? If so, what's your opinion of it?

Shits dope. I wish cats could get more play over here. Especially the Grime type shit. I was telling my homie from over that way, singer Fatima, that I just think it’s gonna take the right cat, with the right look and most important, a die hard allegiance to his/her sound. I think them grime cats could come over here and MURDER but I find that when someone does “crossover” they start assimilating sound wise rather than keeping it true to their sound. But yes, of course, yall got some beasts on that side. I’m looking forward to rockin with some of the cats over there. Not gonna drop any names though. Ha.



Where do you want to be in 5 years time?

 Somewhere in the world doing the same time for more people. A nice house and some good land I can farm. This is my drug. Naturally in five years I’ll need a larger fix to stay sane. At this point I feel I work with or know most of the cats I looked up to and/or would even want to work with. Blessed. So between now and then it’s simply make more music, more money, more places.

What other artists have you worked with in the scene?

Ahh. I see I have been forced to name drop, haha. I don’t wanna give away to much of whats coming on the next album but a lot of people know my work with Danny Brown from Detroit. I’ve worked with Roc Marciano, Guilty Simpson, Sean P, Oh No...really I hate name dropping. Can I stop there? Ha.

Who would you like to work with in the future?

 That’s hard to say. I meet so many great artists everyday that never get there propers so mostly the underdogs. Outkast or Goodie Mobb, specifically Khujo Goodie. I think he’s one the greatest of all time. Style wise I think Ab-Soul is pretty slick with it. Anyone from the Wu. Pharrell would be dope. Heard he has a mean work ethic but more than anything I wanna find out how he still looks 17. I’ve always been a D Double E fan. Wiley or Dot Rotten ( I know I cant choose sides. Ha) JME (mostly because of him police video collection. Fucking genius) I fuck with Big Narstie hard too. But yall gotta let me know who’s killer on the underground out there. Get at me.



What are you working on at the moment, any mixtapes or EPs etc? When can we expect them to come out?

 I have A TON on deck. Collabs with every fucking body I love musically. A new “full length” album on the way. Maybe drop another Memories (collections of unreleased songs) mixtape and another JockSin 6 beat tape in the between time. I don’t want to spoil any surprises but shits about to go crazy. For now just do to catch up work at thehttp://quellechris.bandcamp.com/

Any shout outs?

My fans, my brothers, my sisters, my mothers, my fathers, my cousins, my lady and music. Love y'all.



Let us know where to get in touch with you, and any links you want to promote!

@QuelleChris (on Twitter)
quellechris.bandcamp.com/ (for all the Music)
picsofjesustupacandquelle.tumblr.com/ (for the Lifestyle)
youtube.com/user/CrownNAtionable  (for the Videos)

Interview By Precinct Phantom
@TheRealPP

No comments:

Post a Comment