Thursday 5 July 2012

Illterviews - Genesis Elijah Interview



Genesis Elijah



Illterviews – Genesis Elijah


Genesis Elijah is a UK Hip Hop artist who has been around for a while. We catch up with him to talk about his past projects, outlets like SBTV, Ricky Gervais and more!

Genesis Elijah, introduce yourself; How did you get your name, how long have you been rapping?


The name "Genesis Elijah" just seemed right. I started writing when I was 11 and put out my first single in 2004



What projects have you put out in the past? How have they been received?


Too many to count. I've had something out every year for the past 12 or so years. Since 2010 I've had 'Civil Unrest EP', 'Before I Was Famous Album', 'I Ain't Even Charging Bruv EP', 'Painkillers & Pilkington EP' and 'Father's Day Single' and that's not including the colabs on other peoples projects. Probably got about 100 of those. People seem to like what I do but to be fair I just do what I like


There was an incident last year that was pretty random when I heard about it! Let us know about the Ricky Gervais situation, with your track 'My Truth'.


I made a track and used a soundbite from him from one of his interviews and he heard it and loved it. We've been cool ever since. I'll send him links and he'll check em out and let me know what he thinks. People forget that when he's was with Xfm he was playing Wu-Tang, Mark B and Blade as well as The Streets and other hip-hop acts. He's an ex musician so his musical knowledge is varied and extensive. It's cool just to know that someone I look up to as a writer and actor respects me as a rapper.



Your Warm Up Session with SBTV dropped recently. How much of an influence do you think outlets like that have nowadays, and how much do you think they'll have in the future?


I guess they could be the future. I'm not sure if they have an influence on the music being produced but they definitely have an influence over the industry as a whole. Labels are not only looking to them to see who's the next big thing but they're also buying into companies like SBTV.


You've been active in the scene for a long time, how do you think it compares now, to when you first started out?


Yeah it's a lot harder to establish a name and make a career now because the scene is so much bigger and the attention spans are so much shorter. The emphasis has shifted from the music on to the actual artist but that's just entertainment in general. We're celeb obsessed and it shows in all facets


What other artists have you worked with in the scene?


I've worked with everyone. Wretch, Sway, Royce Da 59, Apathy, Klashnekoff, Guilty Simpson, Dream Mclean ect. I've been here a while.



Who would you like to work with in the future?


The Streets, Maverick Sabre, Stig, Kendrick Lamar. Thats about it really. I just see who's doing their thing. I don't really wanna work with anyone who ain't making moves for themselves. It's all about it being mutually beneficial.


What are you working on at the moment, any mixtapes or EPs etc? When can we expect them to come out?


Nah at the moment I'm just putting out singles. Got a big one coming up with a UK artist that I've wanted to work with for a while. It's gonna be one for the real Hip-Hop heads. Look out for that in early August.


Any shout outs?


Shout to my girl Corinne who's the head of my team. My label Escape Route Music and my sponsors This Is My Hustle Clothing.


Let us know where to get in touch with you, and any links you want to promote!


You can find me on twitter @GenesisElijah and find links to my music at genesiselijah.net


Interview By Precinct Phantom
@TheRealPP

No comments:

Post a Comment