Saturday 14 July 2012

Illterviews - Rame Interview


Rame



Illterviews – Rame

Rame is a dope MC, hailing from Nottingham. We catch up with him to talk about mixtape DJs, the Nottingham scene and much more!

Rame, introduce yourself; How did you get your name, how long have you been rapping?

If you don’t already know, I go by the musical name of Rame (Rhemah) & I’ve only actually been rapping for two years. A lot of people think it’s been longer but I originally started as a DJ in 2004 & then I started writing lyrics on a Grime level in April, 2006. The name Rhemah came from me looking into spiritual names & it was a tie between Messiah & Rhemah. Because Messiah came across to satanic, I decided to go with Rhemah which is a Greek mythology for god of power & I feel that lyrically, knowledge is definitely power.

What projects have you put out in the past? How have they been received?

I’ve got many projects that are out there but I only feel the need to mention the material I’ve worked on in the past two years. I put out my 1st EP ‘The Secret Unfolded’ in early 2011 which included five tracks & the only features were the five different producers I worked with (Steel Banglez, Bully, Lokes, Big White & Seeker). On Christmas Day, I released my 2nd EP ‘Rhain Check’ which again included five tracks & once again, only features with producers. The Secret Unfolded was originally available through my own link which received over 2,000 downloads but sadly, due to many hosting websites getting closed down I lost the link & it is only available via Youtube. Rhain Check has received over 5,000 downloads & is available on Dat Piff, Hoodtapes, Get Nottz, Zaskia, Immortal Technique’s Forum & many other websites.



You've done some work with DJ Ames. How did you link up with him?

I found out about DJ Ames through two musicians/entrepreneurs by the names of Rukus & Reggiimental. I originally submitted a track for one of Ames’s Mixtape series & I got accepted. Due to malfunctions, the mixtape didn’t go through but I & Ames got talking, I told him about my EP & Ames said he wanted to host it for me. I finished the EP, mailed the mastered version across & we both inputted how the hosting of the EP would happen.

What do you think about the role of the mixtape DJ, is it something that still has significant importance?

Most definitely, mixtape DJ’s will always have a massive part to play in the whole music industry & I feel that if you want to pursue your career properly, you always need to be involved with DJ’s to be able to step on a higher platform.



Tell us about the Nottingham scene, and how you feel about it in comparison the the scene in the capital.

I could sit here & talk about the Nottingham scene all day, but sadly, I don’t think many people would be generally interested so I will break it down like this. In my opinion, Nottingham has some of the best uprising talent in the country. You’ve got the likes of Scorzayzee, Juganaut, Micky Grim, Ms Tempz, Fazerelly, Benny Blanko, Matic, Mindz, Landlordz & many more on the Hip Hop/Rap side & for Grime, theres the likes of Wariko, Fangol, Shadow, Jay Eye, NSB, Marvin, Wipz & so much more. Personally, I don’t want to compare Nottingham to London but I will say this, cities including London, Nottingham, Birmingham, Wolvez, Manchester, Sheffield & Peterborough is where it’s really at.

What other artists have you worked with in the scene?

I’ve worked with plenty of artists over the years; I don’t want to drop names because no doubt I will leave someone out but big up everyone I have worked with!



Who would you like to work with in the future?

From UK; Ghetts, Mic Righteous, Juganaut, Micky Grim, Mindz, Vader & Dot Rotten.
From America, it’d be Saigon, Cassidy, Vinnie Paz, Immortal Technique, The Game, Chris Brown, Frank Ocean & Diabolic.

What are you working on at the moment, any mixtapes or EPs etc? When can we expect them to come out?

My team, Rhymes Galore, & I are working on an EP entitled ‘Occupy All Streets’ & we are hopeful that it will be out in August. I, Finchie, Rage & Keyz from Rhymes Galore went on the Ms Tempz Show through Kemet Radio & the footage from that will be out on www.youtube.com/undergroundexposure in the next week or so.

Any shout outs?

Big up all my Rhymes Galore bruddas, shout out to Wipz, N.A.T, Biz, UGX, Ms Tempz, Kidda, Spoze, Roadworks, NC, Vader, Lawless & everyone else i’m working with!

Let us know where to get in touch with you, and any links you want to promote!

@RameRG – Twitter
www.facebook.com/rhemahrg
www.facebook.com/rhymesgalore



Interview By Precinct Phantom
@TheRealPP

No comments:

Post a Comment